Whether you have a puppy 6 months or older, an adult dog or a rescue dog, attending a basic obedience class can make a big difference. It not only allows your dog to gain knowledge of basic commands that are key to having a good relationship with their family, but can help to improve current skills by working around other dogs and people. Distractions are a part of everyday life, and this is usually where the dog will fail to follow commands. Our experienced dog trainers teach these skills through positive reinforcement. Skills covered in this class will include “watch me”, sit, down, come, loose leash walking, heel, leave it, wait and stay. Working with your dog helps build your leadership skills and a happier dog. Knowing what is expected and successfully learning builds your dog’s confidence.
This class is for all skill levels. Beginners will have the opportunity to learn and practice these in an environment with other dogs and people. Depending on your dog, this may be too much distraction. Contact the instructor to decide if the class environment is appropriate for your dog, as other options are available. For dogs who already have these skills, this allows practice in a safe environment full of distractions. Dogs should be able to be within 3 feet of other dogs without negative reactivity. if not, contact instructor for other options.
The class is taught by Linda Beard, certified dog trainer and Janet Best, experienced dog business owner. Classes will be held Tuesdays in Nov at 2PM at The Jimmie Hughes Campus, 150 North Yucca Street in the courtyard behind the theater. There is a fee for this program; inquire at The Mesquite Recreation Center.
Requirements for this program:
- No children under 15 years old permitted
- No prong collars, head halters or retractable leashes or chains (6’ Leash only).
- Please bring water for yourself and your dog w/a bowl.
- Please wear closed toed shoes.
- Please bring training treats, small, soft and smelly and a treat pouch or fanny pack.
- All dogs must be current on all Vaccinations (Rabies, Parvo and Distemper, must bring record with you when registering for class)
- Your pet cannot be dog reactive. (contact instructor if unsure)
- If you have any questions or concerns on the agility class , please contact the instructor at 724-513-8259
For more information about this event and other programs please down load the app, it’s available for iOS or Android devices at http://tour.mesquitenv.gov/. Download it today and discover more of Mesquite!
For more information on this and other programs please contact the Department of Athletics & Leisure Services at (702) 346-8732. Register for youth and adult programs online at: www.mesquitenv.gov. For more information and to stay connected via social media, our Facebook Page is: www.facebook.com/MesquiteNVRecreation or at the Administrative Offices located at 100 W. Old Mill Road.
The City of Mesquite is an equal opportunity employer.