We Care for Animals offers a free spay/neuter service for low income households in Mesquite, Bunkerville & the Arizona Strip. Income restrictions apply. Applications can be found at Virgin Valley Veterinary Hospital, Mesquite Veterinary Clinic and the Mesquite Animal Shelter. Each application is reviewed on a case by case basis, but we try to assist all qualified applicants. Pet owners may be responsible for a portion of the spay/neuter cost.
More than 6 million unwanted dogs and cats are euthanized each year in shelters. Millions more never make it to a shelter and die from accidents, starvation and disease.
By spaying/neutering your pet, you can be part of the solution and not the problem. There are medical and behavioral benefits to spaying (female) and neutering (male) your animals.
Here are some of the medical benefits:
- Your female pet will live a longer, healthier life.
- Your spayed female pet won’t go into heat.
- Almost half of unspayed females develop breast tumors, but virtually no tumors occur if spaying is done before the first heat cycle.
- Spaying eliminates the possibility of developing uterine or ovarian cancers.
- Neutering your male prevents testicular cancer and some prostate problems.
- Neutering eliminates most roaming in search for a mate, which, in turn, reduces the risk of fights, injury and traffic deaths.
- Neutering reduces the urge of male dogs to mount and male cats to mark their territory.
- On average, altered animals live longer.
Spaying/neutering your pets is also highly cost-effective. The cost of your pet’s spay/neuter surgery is far less than the cost of having and caring for a litter.