On Sunday, June 11 another fire broke out in Beaver Dam, severely damaging one home and several acres of brush along Old Highway 91 near the fire station.
According to Joe Hamblin, a resident of the home that was damaged, the fire began outside in a field on the southwest side of the property.
Hamblin said he smelled smoke but didn’t think anything of it until his roommate told him she thought his truck was on fire.
Hamblin rushed outside to discover that the fire was not his truck but rather the brush underneath a propane tank and all around. While the roommate was calling 911, Hamblin began calling out to the roommates to get out.
They scrambled to save the dogs and cats that were inside just as officials began evacuating the three properties that were threatened. Small fires were spreading along the dry grasses and catching some of the landscaping and brush along the hill toward the highway on fire. Hamblin said he went back outside and that’s when he noticed that the back porch was in flames and he knew they had to get out right now.
Hamblin said, “Everyone was just getting the animals and leaving the property when I noticed that one of the firemen’s hoses was damaged from one of the many smaller fires that were burning and it put a hole in the hose. Water was spraying everywhere so I tried to control the flow of the water over some of the smaller fires from the hole until he was able to get another hose; there were little fires all over the place.”
Damage to the mobile home, which was a rental property, was contained to the back porch, laundry room and roof destroying the a/c unit and ventilation systems.
The fire was put out on the structure quickly but the fire continued to burn the dense brush, landscaping and natural flora that surrounded the area.
The fire threatened to spread across the highway due to strong winds but the Beaver Dam Firefighters were able to keep it contained. The actual origin of the fire was sparks flying from a burn barrel. According to a press release issued on June 12, Mohave County Sheriff’s deputies arrested Nicholas Raymond Kennedy, 39, of Beaver Dam, Sunday, June 11 with reckless burning, a misdemeanor. At about 2:56 p.m., deputies responded to the area of the 700 block of Combe Lane about an agency assist for the Beaver Dam Fire
Department with evacuations due to a brush fire threatening several homes. During the investigation, deputies learned one of the residents identified as Kennedy originally started the fire to burn garbage. Kennedy was taken into custody without incident. He was transported and booked into the Mesquite Jail.