Excerpts from The Center for Civic Education Cont.
Let’s discuss: What is Common Wealth?
In today’s article, I will be asking you several questions. Put on your thinking cap!
How do you describe Common Wealth? Is it when you give up your own interest to do something that is good for everyone? Each person has to answer this question for himself or herself or a family discussion would be fun to have for all opinions to be discussed. The following exercise will help you do this:
- Describe a situation in which you think you should try to help others instead of just doing what you want for yourself.
- Explain the situation in which you think you should do something for yourself instead of trying to help others.
- Sometimes people disagree about what is the best thing for everyone. Describe a situation where this might happen. How do you think such disagreement should be settled? If you would like, you can e mail me your answers or thoughts to email@example.com
- All articles will be presented to the editor and one will be picked to be published in a subsequent article.
- Your answers need to be short and concise. No longer than 200 to 400 words.
Black Law Dictionary, Ninth Edition
Republic A system of government in which the people hold Sovereign power and elect representatives who exercise that power. It contrasts on the one hand with a pure democracy, in which the people or community as an organized whole wield the sovereign power of government. Esther’s opinion of a democracy “can be called Mob rule” compared with the rule of one person (such as a king or dictator) or of an elite group (such as an oligarchy, aristocracy, or junta.
“A republic is a government which (a) derives all of its powers directly or indirectly from the great body of the people and (b) is administered by persons holding their office during pleasure for a limited period, or during good behavior.” Robert A Dahl a preface to Democratic Theory 10 (1956
Republican Government: A government in the republican form; specif., a government by representatives chosen by the people. firstname.lastname@example.org