The Mesquite Police Department and local businessman David Ballweg, of Loadtec, are pleased to announce and offer a new scholarship opportunity. The David Ballweg Community Service and Leadership Scholarship will recognize outstanding community leadership and service in young people. The goal of the scholarship is to reward students for their service to their community through assisting them in reaching their academic goals at the next level of education. Up to ten $500 scholarships will be awarded to graduating seniors of Virgin Valley High School through the David Ballweg Community Service and Leadership Scholarship.
Award selection is based upon: participation in community service activities and volunteer work, academic grade point average, and the content of a 200-word essay submission. The essay shall reference the student’s experiences leading and serving the community and the impact of their service. To be eligible scholarship applicants must have participated in some form of community service, volunteer activities, or be an active participant of an organization or group that serves the community. They must also meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled as a high school senior in Clark County and be a graduating from Virgin Valley High School in 2015
- Have a cumulative high school grade point average above 2.5; emphasis will be placed on community service activities
- Must enroll in the upcoming fall semester as a full time student in an undergraduate course of study in an accredited two or four-year college or university, or vocational-technical school
Scholarship awards are for one year only. Applications will be accepted from April 1st through May 15, 2015. Applications can be hand delivered or mailed to the Mesquite Nevada Police Department, located at 695 Mayan Circle attention: Mesquite Police Department Administration, David Ballweg Community Service and Leadership Scholarship.
- Personal Statement / Essay
- Certified High School Transcripts
- 2 Letters of Recommendation