Fire crews quickly put out the fire at 496 Foxglove Lane Monday night, restricting the damage to the kitchen area. Photo by Stephanie Frehner.

Fire is an unpredictable thing, especially when it gets out of hand. Monday night, the King family at 496 Foxglove Lane was struck with the uncertainty of their home when a fire ignited on the back deck and spread to their kitchen through an open window.

The call came in at about 4:50 p.m. Monday night and arriving crews found the fire in the exterior of the structure as well as along the roofline. There was also smoke emanating from the attic on all four sides of the house. Within minutes, the firefighters knocked down the exterior fire, which happened to be in a dog run on the side of the home where two large, but scared, rottweilers were. Animal control responded to the scene to keep the animals safe while crews shot down the flames.

The exterior fire had moved to the interior of the home, into the kitchen area and the crews quickly squashed those flames as well. After thorough thermal imaging testing, it was determined that the fire had not spread to the attic, restricting a majority of the damage to that corner of the house, in the kitchen and partially in the living room area.


A closer look at the damage on the exterior of the building from Monday night’s fire, in the pet run area. Photo by Mesquite Fire Department.

“My crews did an outstanding job keeping the fire from getting any worse and saving the home for this family,” proclaimed Mesquite Fire Chief Kash Christopher.  “We also appreciate the tremendous assistance our friends from the Beaver Dam and Bunkerville Fire Departments.  They played key roles in allowing us to keep this fire in check.”

The family of five is currently staying at a local hotel until repairs can be made on the house. A fundraising effort has also begun online. To donate, go to and make a secure donation.