The United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is sponsoring the largest free tax counseling and preparation program in the country, available through AARP.
Who can use this free tax help and free filing service?
Most people who work need to file a tax form. AARP Tax-Aide is a free tax help service for people who meet the following criteria:
- Low or middle income taxpayers who want free tax help and free filing of their US Federal income tax returns.
- You must have a simple tax return. People seeking tax help who have more complex returns will be advised to get professional tax assistance.
- You do not have to be a member of AARP or a senior to receive tax help from Tax-Aide. However, special attention is paid to people age 60 and over.
What are the details of this free tax help and filing service?
Every Year, from February 1 to April 15 about 32,000 trained and certified Tax-Aide volunteers across the country are available to provide tax help for preparing and filing your federal tax return.
Most Tax-Aide locations are equipped to file your return electronically, allowing you to receive your return much faster.
- In most situations, you must visit an AARP Tax-Aide site in person by Tax-Aide volunteers. However, special arrangements can be made to assist shut-ins and homebound filers.
The Mesquite Senior Center, 102 W Old Mill Rd in Mesquite provides Tax-Aide help and filing on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays by appointment.
What do I need to bring?
- Photo identification
- Social Security Card (or equivalent) for all persons listed on return
- Wage and Earning Statements (W2, 1099, 1098)
- Interest and dividend statements
- Brokers statements
- A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns
- Blank check for bank routing numbers and account number
- Both must be present for Married filing Jointly