Pet Appreciation Week
June 7-13, 2015
According to these statistics available from Petfinder, we sure do have a lot to appreciate when it comes to our pets:
- Nine in ten pet owners say they consider their pets to be members of their family.
- About 50% of pet owners admit they talk to their pets [note: come on, we all know that percentage is way higher], and 80% of these people stated that on those occasions, the animal seemed to respond by means of sounds, facial expressions, or body language.
- 80% of dog and cat owners surveyed feel that their pet can sense their moods.
- Three in four dog owners believe that their dogs try to make them feel better when they are unhappy.
- 70% of dog owners and 31% of cat owners expect their dog to come rescue them if they are in distress.
- While a solid majority of American households (57%) currently have dogs, cats, or both pets in residence, virtually everyone—more than nine in ten—would like to have either or both of these animals as household members.
Pets have a positive impact on their owner’s health. They help to:
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce cholesterol levels
- Relieve stress and anxiety
- Decrease /alleviate depression
- Encourage exercise
- Increase the opportunity for socialization
Knowing all that our pets can do for us, it makes sense to have a week to celebrate and give them a little extra attention. You may want to:
- Spend some extra time cuddling your pet
- Extend their exercise time
- Play a favorite game
- Give them a message or extra time brushing
- Make sure they are current with their vaccinations
- Make sure they are properly identified with tags/collars
- Spay/neuter your pets
I’m Alvin! I couldn’t be more excited about being someone’s new furry friend. I have been looking for someone to spend time with me and hang out! I adore being with people and want to give you all the love you’ll let me! I am more than just a pretty face; I have beauty radiating from inside of me. There are lots of dogs out there but I am one of a kind. I have come a long way to find my forever home, is it with you?
Additional available dogs
Simon –Male 3yr old terrier blend
Billy- Male 5 month old poodle/terrier
Scooter- Male 5 month old poodle/terrier
Piper- Female 5 month old poodle/terrier
Valerie- Female heeler blend
Brother and sister team would like to go to same home if possible. Meet Sailor! She is quite possibly one of the sweetest cats I’ve ever met! She loves new people, and thinks everything is exciting! Sailor’s favorite thing in the world is to get attention. She comes when called and will jump into your arms. Sparrow is one of the best cats; he is a large, calm and quiet guy that asks for very little in life. He is very easy going and will never pass up a nice chin rub or scratch behind the ears. Once you start giving this big boy attention, he will rub and head butt you asking for more. They love to “hide” where they can see you but you can’t see them but will come when called. Striking white facial markings with white whiskers. 1 year old
Additional available cats
Sheba- Female 10 year old long hair dilute calico ONLY CAT in home
Cheetos- Male 4 month medium hair orange tabby
Luigi- male 4 months short hair orange tabby
All animals will be spayed or neutered prior to leaving shelter and receive 1 year rabies vaccination and city license. Ages are approximated.
The City of Mesquite Animal Shelter located at 795 Hardy Way is open for adoptions from 11am until 1 pm, Monday through Saturday, Sunday 1pm -3pm. Please call 702-346-7415 during these hours to speak to the front desk. Animal Control may be reached by phone or voicemail at 702-346-5268
The animals submitted to the media may have changes so please visit our Petfinder website for a current listing and more detailed information on the animals. www.mesquiteanimalshelter.petfinder.com
Please also check our Facebook pages for lost and found animals along with pet information. https://www.facebook.com/MesquiteNVAnimalControl and https://www.facebook.com/FRIENDSOFMESQUITENVANIMALSHELTER