Excerpts From The Center for Civic Education, Cont.
The Founders of the United States of America studied the history of government. They were very interested in what they read about the government of the Roman Republic. It was located in what is now the country of Italy. The Roman Republic existed more than 2,000 years before our nation began.
The government of Rome was called a Republican Government The Founders read that the of Rome, Italy was one in which
- The power of the government is held by the people
- The people give the power to the people they elect to represent them and serve their
- The representatives are responsible for helping all the people in the country, not just a few people.
Representatives – people elected to act for others
Interests – those things which are to a persons’ benefit
What are the advantages of a Republican Form of Government?
The Founders started a Republican government. They found it was the best kind of government they could choose for themselves. They believed that the advantage of a Republican Government brings:
- Fairness. They believed that laws made by the Representatives they elected would be fair. If their Representatives did not make their laws fair, they could elect others who would.
- Common welfare. The laws would help everyone instead of one person or a few favorite people.
- Freedom and Prosperity. People would have greater freedom and be able to live well.